Saturday, 31 March 2012

Eden's Fairy Portrait

Who remembers my tutorial on How to make a pink sparkly glitter frame

Well, I finally completed my whimsical fairy picture that was to go inside for my friend's daughter, it has taken me a good couple of months to finish around various other projects and working a full time job, but here it is:



Before I started, I trawled books and the web for ideas. This is where Pinterest came in very handy for me as I could pin any inspirational works of art, objects or photography to create my mood board. You can take a peek at what inspired me here: 

http://pinterest.com/neopog/fairies/  

Feeling creative with a mind full of ideas, I started off by scanning a photograph of Eden and tracing over her face using the vector pen in Adobe Illustrator. 

From looking at my mood board, I knew I wanted to put some whimsical toadstools in there with lots of flowers, butterflies and a hint of a fairy tree house. Once I'd laid all the different objects out onto separate layers in Illustrator I could add on further detail such as shading, and colour. 

Once I was happy with the final piece, I searched for some pixie and sparkle brushes to add finishing touches.

Obviously printing such a variety of colours uses quite alot of ink (I do go through alot!). I find the best place to purchase ink from at a good price is Cartridge People. They usually have a good 3 for 2 deal on so I can ensure I don't run out!

Anyhow, I got it all printed at home and framed it in a nice pink sparkly frame.

Here's the happy young fairy on receiving her new personalised portrait:

Eden recognised herself straight away in the 
picture and was instantly fascinated. 

I think she was very pleased with her new work 
of art for her bedroom wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment