Saturday, 1 December 2012

Alanis Morissette: Live at Liverpool Echo Arena

Ever since hearing 'Jagged Little Pill' when I was about 13 years old, I've always had a soft spot for a bit of Alanis Morissette so what a nice surprise it was when James treated me to some tickets for my 30th Birthday. Last night 'Alanis day' finally arrived and I got to see her at the Liverpool Echo Arena and I must say she can still pack an almighty vocal punch! 

Opening up her set, saw Alanis emerging through the stage lights to the tribal drums of 'I Remain', which then led into 'Woman Down', both new songs from her latest album 'Havoc and Bright Lights'. Not quite as angsty and angry as the 'Jagged Little Pill' 90's classics but I still quite liked it. 

I was a little concerned she would favour playing more of the new stuff instead of the back catalogue, but as soon as I heard the harmonica play, my concerns where gone as the guitar lines began in harmony to 'All I really Want' leading on to a great set list that mixed between the new stuff and the classics. Her angsty mood may have mellowed, but her vocals still effortlessly carry the songs. 

An artist definitely worth seeing!


No comments:

Post a Comment